Monday 8 September 2014

The Writer, Day One: Optimism

So we're finally here. My holiday... from work. Though if you ask my nan, she seems to be under the impression that writing is a fun task, along the lines of a spa day. As I explained to her "Writing is fucking hard." Which it is. It's harder than my job, which involves lifting heavy things. It's a piece of cake that has no effect on my brain at all. A well built monkey with the ability to operate a palm pilot and align corresponding numbers could maybe do my job. He'd have to speak fluent English and work a computer as well.

Fortunately I am optimistic. I started writing the Talon Strand bloody ages ago, before I released the first book. 1. This means that I don't have as much to do, but 2. It also means that a lot of it isn't up to scratch. Again though, optimism prevails. This is not a week to finish my book and get it ready for release; this is a week to finish the first draft, which is ultimately possible.

I have more than a year to fatten it up, ensuring that it's better than the first and if the first draft is finished, I can spend a bit more time on Nova.

Taking to Sally(i) on Saturday night, I said that though I may leave it open, there will not be a third. Sally (i) said there should be. And the delightful woman does have a knack for talking sense. I guess, I'm not sure how I feel about a third one. I wouldn't write it unless I felt it was necessary and that it would once again be better than the first and second. Plus the dates piss me off... They have been the most annoying part of the whole process! Bright idea Chris, adding dates and then placing them out of order. 'Does my stupidity know no bounds?' You ask. Apparently not.

Saying that, I may not even get to release the second. Like I said, I will not release it if it's not as good as the first. I have three proof readers. Catherine, Eilis and Sally (i). When I send out the first copy for them to proof read, it will come with the question: Do it have the potential to surpass the first?

If one of them says no, then it will not come out. Progression does not move backwards. It may seem a bit drastic but I refuse to release another book for the sake of it. Especially considering recent thoughts of being a writer. For someone as flawed as myself, I still manage to get annoyed that Maybe, Misery is averaging at four and a half stars. I know it's not terrible and I know Maybe, Misery isn't perfect but I'm allowed to be unreasonably demanding of it.

Anyway, back to the optimism... I have seven days to write eleven chapters, which will complete the first draft. Which is definitely doable! I am determined.

I do have loads of stuff to tell you guys and loads of stuff planned but now isn't the time. So my apologies for this week, I will try and get all the usual posts up, but if I don't... well don't hold it against me.

And to sort of reward you for reading all that, here's a snippet...

I make myself a cup of green tea and sit down to study. As soon as I turn to the page I want my phone rings, it’s Lance. I ignore it. To be fair I did tell him that I would be studying all day so hopefully he’ll get the message; he doesn't and my phone keeps ringing again and again constantly until I give in.

“I told you I'm studying today, this had best be important.”

“Would I ring you if it wasn't?”

Yes, yes he would; he does it every bloody day.

“What is the matter then?”

“You. Me. The pub.”

I'm struggling to see the importance.

“How about no, I told you I would be studying!”

“Come on man, Nicole is coming and she’s bringing a friend, you don’t want her to be all alone do you?”

“What kind of a friend?”

“A cute one apparently, your favourite kind.”

I can sense him smiling over the phone; Lance knows he’s winning me over.

“You’re a bad influence you know.”

“I know but you love me, so come out for a few with myself and Nicole and meet this lovely lady. You won’t regret it, I promise.”

Damn it.

“Fine but I'm only having a few.”

“Good lad, I’ll see you at eight at the Surf Tavern; dress nice.”

I say my goodbyes and admit my defeat. I can’t leave that lovely young woman stranded as a third wheel whilst Lance continues his ongoing pursuit to have his wicked way with Nicole. He’s been trying all year round to get the poor woman into bed; luckily for her, she witnesses all his conquests and knows exactly what he’s like.

No comments:

Post a Comment