Tuesday 16 September 2014

The Return: Story-time 10! Mega-Bumper Edition!

Yes, I have been neglecting my little blog and I'm sorry if you're one of the people that read it on a regular basis. I've have been quite busy though, but things should be moving back to normal now.

So anyway to make it up to you, here is a mega-bumper edition of Story-time with TEN drabbles for you to enjoy. Thanks go to the guests and my bananas...

Foolish Notions by C.S. Bailey

Throughout my life, I have been drawn towards mistakes. I’m a slave to their sense of mystery and excitement. They’re a constant rebellion against normal life.

For example, I left my wife for a younger woman, I quit my job to become a full time rabbit enthusiast and I’ve entered a bacon eating competition. I even crashed my car to see what it felt like and that was all yesterday.

Yet as I plummet towards the ground, spinning out of control and pounded by the savage G-Force.

I can’t help but feel it was foolish passing up on the parachute.

The Space In-between by Michael Brookes

There is a secret hidden deep inside the heart of the universe. A terrible reality which once challenged the power of the divine. In a war spanning our universe and beyond the elder beings almost destroyed everything that was and what might yet come to be.

Those who survived imprisoned the horror inside a maze of nothingness. Only the complex space in between could contain their impossible forms. Their presence creates quantum chaos to what was once mathematical precision.

No faith alone can unlock their prison, but science has the key.


The elder ones await our discoveries with keen hunger.

Miss September by C.S. Bailey

You know, I was really happy for so long. After meeting Mai, my life started to make sense. My fragile heart swelled with the emotions of happiness. I even began to smile, to enjoy life and embrace it within my grasp. Living in Tokyo was a life-like dream.

Sadly though, it was not to last.

Much to my chagrin, Mai claimed I was self-absorbed, needy, possessive and an overall mess. Mai soon lost interest.

It’s a shame, because these harsh words caused her to also lose two arms, two legs and a head.

She makes a pretty mantel piece though.

My Humble Kingdom by Nav Logan
I sit upon my throne and survey all before me, little though it is. Sadly, it’s the twenty-first century and good servants are hard to come by. My castle isn’t much, but at least the view is spectacular. My trusty steed is indeed trusty, though the roses are sadly lacking in manure.

My apparel has also seen some adjustments to fit in with the times, and would be completely useless at suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Still, at least the peasants aren’t revolting.

Many things have changed in the kingdom, but in Ireland, all men are kings.

Trapped in a Vicious Cycle by Ken Magee

I need to get home and I need to get home as quickly as I can. I really don’t know where I am and I’m frightened.

I race helter-skelter down the hill. I pray I’ll find somewhere familiar soon. I spot the river. I’ve definitely seen it before. I follow its course. I round a bend and suddenly I see the sea. I’m nearly home; safe.

I fall into the cold embrace of my mother. She hardly notices that I’m back.

Then the sun comes out. Please, no. I’m evaporating. I rise towards the sky.


Bugger, here we go again.

Emperor Penguins by Nav Logan
They congregate together in the strangest of places.

I have recently seen them huddled together for warmth by the airport. Today, I could hardly get onto the platform because of them.

I wonder whether they have been abducted by aliens and lobotomised. They shamble around like middle-classed zombies in Barbour jackets, lost in their own little world.

David Attenborough could have had a field day studying their habitats and breeding patterns, to say nothing of their DNA.

All I know is that it’d be a lot easier to catch the 8:30 to Bristol if the platform wasn’t encumbered with Train-spotters.

Fido's Bits by Bryan Thomas

"Mum?"
"Yes, Michael?"
"Why did you take Fido to the vet last week?"
"He had to have his nails cut."
"But Dad said the vet took his knackers off."
"Great."
"What?"
"Nothing, Michael."
"Dad also said Fido is a eunuch now. Eunuch sounds like an elf or a pixie, I think I'd like to be a eunuch."
"Michael, you do not want to be a eunuch, okay?"
"But could I be?"
"No."
"Are you sure, Mum?"
"You could, but you'd have to have some of your bits off."
"My bits?"
"Your 'boy' bits."
"Umm... would that be painful?"
"Ask Fido."

CYBERSPACE KNOWLEDGE by Rick Haynes

‘I am the book. What do you seek?’
‘I seek truth, but how can you prove your existence and truthfulness.’
‘I know about your cravings. The need to know your fate.’
‘Very good, but where did I come from?’
‘Your parents, but you require more than that answer. Man arrived on Earth as spores from Mars. Evolution was inevitable. However when you depart this world you will not die Redmond. You will join the new world of pure souls.’
‘I knew it! I believe! It’s my destiny!’
The Book sighed.
I do so love tracking cookies.

They tell me everything.

The Wine Class by Bryan Thomas

"And now, my favourite grape variety - Cabernet Sauvignon," said Nigel.
"To me, this grape is the Russell Crowe of the wine world: It has huge presence. It's unpredictable. And it will slap you right in the chops without warning. So, Algenon, let's have your opinion on this Chilean red."
"I'm getting..."
"Yes?"
"I'm getting a head-on collision of blackberries and burnt seagull droppings. I'm getting pan-fried crotchless panties with a hint of badger snot. I'm getting brake fluid, Scottish peat, pungent armpit, and a low note of kippers in tarmacadam sauce."
"Everything but the kitchen sink, eh?" said Nigel.

Lust by C.S Bailey

Under the pale moonlight, she lies still in my arms. My hand reaches forth and caresses her skin, soft to the touch and cold as the winter’s night. I look upon her hoping for a sign of movement but alas, she has gone.
Droplets of warmth hit my arm and as I gaze down, I am mesmerized by blood trickling from her neck. My heart begins to pace, my lips become dry and I am once more a slave to my deepest urges. 

As my molars dig into her flesh, I can’t help but feel my lust for this angel has gone too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment