Tuesday 30 September 2014

Story-time with the Four Bananas. (No.12)

Good morning everybody. I hope you have all had a lovely week and if you're feeling a bit down because it's only a Tuesday; remember it's my Friday today :p My thanks go to my bananas as usual and today we have a special surprise. Rick has gifted us with some poetry, so enjoy...

Duty Calls by C.S. Bailey

The year is 2033; I am a marine commander of an alpha unit sent in to eradicate threats to our galaxy. My team and I traverse the galaxy seeking out our enemies and destroy them with extreme vigilance and unparalleled precision.
We have travelled far, to the planet Epsilon where a group of marines have gone missing; our job is to penetrate the caverns and bring them home to safety.
All of a sudden there is a knock at the door. Appearing before me is a familiar figure.
“Nan, get out of my bloody room while I’m playing video games!”

The Monster Within by Nav Logan
Monsters come in all shapes and sizes, as do heroes. You can find these monsters anywhere. They lurk in your workplace, your supermarket, hiding at the back of the school yard. They prey on weakness and fear. The smaller you feel, the bigger they become.

Any perceptible flaw is a tool for their exploitation and they know no pity; no reason. They revel in the power we give them.

It is time to stand together against them. It is time for us all to say no, this is not acceptable. Make a stand. Bullying must become a thing of the past.

The Collectors by Bryan Thomas

"I've caught another one!" Elizabeth shouted.
"Well done," her father replied. "How many have you got now?"
"Seventeen."
"That's two more than I have."
"They are funny little things, aren't they?"
"Yes, Elizabeth, they're quite peculiar."
Elizabeth peered into her jar. "I can't tell which ones are male and which are female."
"It's not easy but with a little experience you'll soon be able to. When we get home I'll show you how to asphyxiate them and you can put them in your new display cabinet."
"Daddy, what did you say they are called again?"
"Humans, Elizabeth, they're called humans."

My Little Runaway by Rick Haynes

Where are you going to my little runaway?
There’s only pain today.
Is it true you are lost my precious runaway?
Just hunger pangs today.
There’s no one at home who understands you.
So how will you cope in the cold and the dark?

Your world so empty.
Your life so sad.

There are no answers little runaway.
Where will you be sleeping tonight?
There are no sympathies precious runaway.
So how will you feel tonight?

But maybe tomorrow will be brighter.
For maybe your star will shine.
So turn around my little runaway.

Heaven’s too full of your kind.

Some words from Rick...

"Some time ago, I was asked to contribute to a scheme highlighting the plight of neglected and abused children in the USA. The weapon of choice being the mighty pen, I decided to write a Drabble. With only 100 words to play with I knew that it had to be punchy, yet thought provoking, and with an important message in the last line.

My Little Runaway immediately jumped into my head and the message refused to abate until I had finished. Although, I must confess that the last few words took a few days to appear in my grey matter.

As a man I deplore man’s inhumanity to man. As a father and grandfather, I loathe any cruelty to children no matter where they live.

My Little Runaway is dedicated to all those alone in the dark."

No comments:

Post a Comment