Saturday 20 September 2014

Inferiority Complex/Complex Inferiority.

After my five day writing sprint, The Talon Strand has taken a short break from my company. Before I give the first draft to my proof readers, I plan to fatten it up and give it a bit more personality. Now as I've mentioned, I won't be releasing it if even one of my proof readers thinks it's not as good as the first.

It has to be written better, it has to be progression otherwise what's the point. I may as well create an anthology with the woman responsible for 8 shades of gray.

Now, I know that it has the potential to be better. Maybe, Misery was an explosion of everything. Following the escapades of an ass hole. The Talon Strand, follows characters who are directly and indirectly affected by Lance Talons decision.

Now before I go on, I want to let you know it was fucking hard writing for five different characters, especially in first person. After finishing this book, it has reignited the spark to write a third. Though I really don't want to. I know that doesn't make sense, it's just a pain in the ass with the dates and jumping backwards and forwards through time... especially when there's more than one character.

So anyway, despite all the positive feelings that have come with finishing this book, I can't help but feel it's inferior. Now let me clarify, I do NOT mean inferior in terms of quality. I just can't shake the feeling that it will never be as good as the first. Maybe people will like it more, but to me, it will never carry the magic that releasing the first one brought.

That excitement of designing the cover, of purchasing the copyright. The thrill of telling people you're about to release a book.

Perhaps what I mean to say, is that it will never mean as much to me as the first.

Unless it makes me enough money enabling me to hunt down every single person trying to emulate 50 shades of grey and give them a slap.

So if you come across this and are in the process of writing your first book. Love it, take care of every painstaking moment and realise that you are doing something wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment