Saturday 4 October 2014

Social Blunders.

Do you remember the first time you joined a social networking website? Me neither, I've drank a lot since then. I remember it being grand and expansive, the majority of the Earth's population at our fingertips. A way too communicate with far away relatives, connect with friends in an on-line world. The possibilities were endless and in the beginning I found it fascinating. I even met quite a few people through my venture. Sadly though, it wasn't to last.

We soon found that, well some humans should have stayed away. Public arguments, un-friending people and the extremely shallow followed. What started out as a wondrous place to meet and greet people from the comfort of our homes, soon turned into a bin to empty our every thoughts. Cue generic status updates: Such a person is in bed. Said person is watching T.V. This is a picture of my tea. This is my baby on the potty. If my mother had posted a naked picture of me as a child to a public website, I would have grown up and gone after her with a vengeance. Can you imagine growing up and having your life giver tell you, "When you were a baby, I showed every single person I may or may not know personally a naked picture of you." - Think of the children people! Then you've got the shallow nature of humanity spotlighted, through 'selfies' - don't get me started on the camel toe challenge.

It's soon become a place for people to complain about their mundane lives and publicly slander people they don't like. I once received a message in my inbox asking me to like their profile picture - Are you that desperate for attention! I have also seen people who have removed me off Facebook... These people are the saddest of them all. Fair enough if you generally can't stand someone, but you'll always face that issue of seeing them in real life... And his face was a picture when he saw me. The silly little sad sack.

I bring this up because I have noticed something strange on Twitter. Now you all know I'm rubbish with it, but I seem to be getting followers somehow, mainly off authors I don't know. What they do is, they follow me; then I follow them back and then they un-follow me, meaning I'm just following them! Are that that fucking desperate for people to follow you! I mean, come on! With each technological stride, humanity grows worse until one day, we'll all be mindless husks without the ability to form a correctly spelled sentence.

Saying all this though, I have met many wonderful people through the internet. All my writing buddies and a few people, I consider close friends. I guess the social side has served to show us what a mixed bag of tricks the world is.

So if you're on-line today and you roll your eyes at someone's boring-as-fuck life, remember the awesome ones you have met as well. Plus without the internet, you wouldn't be reading my complaints about it. :p

Act accordingly humans.

C.S    

No comments:

Post a Comment