Wednesday 15 October 2014

Bailey & Friends: Nav Logan

Today is a day of celebration. My good friend Nav has released the first book in his Storm-Bringer Saga, so this post is pure to honour his mischief, enjoy...

You can find out more about Nav here:

www.navlogan.com
Nav's books
Nav on The Facebook

Here's some drabbles from the man himself:

Moon-fire Sacrifice


In the light of the moon, a shaman incants to the rhythmic beating of the drummers. Before him, the sacrifice struggles helplessly within her wicker cage. Dry kindling awaits a spark to erupt into an inferno and consume the offering.

The shaman summons a delicate blue flame, and coaxes it onto the kindling. In moments, a bonfire erupts, but this fire is devoid of heat. No smoke emerges as the blue flames envelop the wood, the wickerwork cage, and the victim within. The Moon-fire is as cold as a crypt, as silent as cancer.

Ash drifts away on the breeze.

The Man from Uffington

I’m a simple farmer, barely making ends meet. I scratch a living from the chalky soil each day, while my mind dreams of better things.

My wife berates me for constantly drawing pictures. She doesn’t understand my compulsion, my need to create. It drives me on to greater things.

Ignoring the mockery of the villagers, I rise work each day on my hill. I wield my mattock until my shoulders ache, and then dig some more, all the while singing praises to Epona.

Finally my work is done, and I stand back and admire my hill, my wonderful white horse.

Moon-dreams

The full moon hangs like a bloated overripe melon. I find myself dreaming of owls hunting in the night. I am one with a majestic Barn Owl, gliding effortlessly around the ruins of an ancient megalithic tomb.

Beneath a twisted oak my body lies in slumber, while my mind sours on the light breeze. I am transformed into the silent ghost who reaps death upon mice and voles. A deadly hunter with a brood of young to feed

My heart skips a beat as my claws rake across the back of a rat.

I hear its death screech and wake.

And here is an interview I did for his Facebook event

Nav Logan, the man, the mystery of Ireland. We met under the digital moon light of the kindle user’s forum and we have spoken pretty much every bloody day since. Even when I’m feeling psychotic, Nav pops up with a picture of a cute kitten to cheer up my day.

We have since worked on two short stories together and now a third, the soon released Happy Halloween.

Today, Nav releases his third book in his popular Storm-bringer Saga so to celebrate his release; here are some questions with the author of the day.

1. So Mr. Nav, did you just wake up on one foggy morning and decide you wanted to write a book? Or was it a life-long dream?

My first book was a bit of an accident actually. It started out as a poem, which will be featured on a forthcoming compilation. At the time, I was working for a local organic food cooperative and business was slow, so I started to write the first chapter to while away the day. My co-workers, Celine and Marie, asked me what I was doing, and soon wanted to read the story. Every day for the next month or so, I would start my day by clearing all my work for the day, and then I would read the last chapter and give it a brief edit. Then I would write the next chapter. It just grew and grew until finally the book was complete. A special thanks to Celine and Marie, and to my kids, Liam and Darragh. They were my first fans.

2. Why don’t you tell us a bit about the Storm-Bringer Saga and what you hope to achieve by its end?

LOL, have we got all night?  The Storm-Bringer Saga  is a work of epic fantasy, so there is an awful lot going on. There are a whole heap of plots and subplots all twisted together and enough cast to make a director pull his hair out. There are twenty one gods and forty two main characters, plus other bit parts.

That said, the heart of the story is about Maerlin, the girl who will become a Storm-Bringer and is destined to save the world. It’s about her and the challenges she has to endure, the friends she meets, the enemies she vanquishes and what she has to go through to become the Storm-Bringer.  It is a coming of age adventure filled with laughs, tension, horror and feel-good factor. Sadly, there are no unicorns.

3. What are your feelings on being told you look like Star Wars maestro George Lucas?

I think you have that wrong, Chris. It’s the other way around. Poor Lucas is always calling me up complaining that people keep demanding his autograph, but when they find out it’s not me, they are crestfallen.

4. You’re throwing a dinner party and you have room for three guests. Which three authors, past and present would you invite?

Mmmm, that’s a tough one. So many to choose from.  James Herbert, David Eddings, and George Orwell, but there are so many other great authors knocking at the door, including my fellow Banana men.

5. What advice would you give to someone desperately wanting to write their first book?

Stop thinking about it and get on with it. Thinking will achieve nothing. Expect difficulties and problems, but get on with it and persevere.
Also, before thinking of publishing, hire a good proofreader and editor, if at all possible. There is only so much that you, or friends and family can spot. There will be errors, expect them and try to do the best you can. There will be critics and set backs , so grow a thick skin, but believe in yourself. Everyone has a story to tell.

6. You’re currently working on a collection of drabbles, a collection of poems and a collection of short stories, why don’t you tell us a bit about that?

I’ve been writing poems and short stories since I was a kid, drabbles came later, but I can handle it, I’m not addicted. It’s just a phase, honest! Anyway, I have loads of good ones sitting around so I thought I’d make a compilation up. When I started to compile them, I realized just how much I had lying around. I Had enough for three books, let alone one. So I might do a series, a mix of drabbles poems and short stories, or I might do three separate books . I’m still editing, but I have about 150 drabbles, 100 poems and around twenty short stories. Many of them are on my webpage, but there are a few surprises too

7. You’re on a Desert Island, a rabid panther tries to chew on your leg; do you shove your copy of Maybe, Misery in its mouth, knowing it’s your only form of entertainment? Or do you save it and pray that its teeth aren’t that sharp?

Nav never answered this question and later confessed he would sacrifice Maybe, Misery much to the chagrin of the interviewer.

8. Being a long standing member of the indie community, what would you say is your favorite part of it?

I’m not long standing, I prefer to sit down when I’m typing. Children take note. Stop standing over your lap tops. It’s bad for your backs. You’ll regret it later. … and rucksacks! Forget about them. They may look cool, but wheels make travel so much easier!
Where was I , Oh yes. The Indie author community. There are some great people  I’ve met, friendly, and willing to give advice and a helping hand out. And what talent! The Book Industry turns their noses up at Indie Authors, but they are missing out on some really good books.

9. Having never met Bryan Thomas in real life, do you believe he is actual a talking unicorn, trying to find his place in the world by using social networking to change our perceptions of talking animals?

I met my wife on line and we’ve been together for thirteen years now. People warn you about meeting strangers on line and there is a lot of sense in it, ask my wife. She met a right weirdo :-P.
As for Bryan. Personally, I think he is an Alien spy, sent to earth to investigate all life forms. He is still trying to figure it all out. It can’t be easy. The English language makes no sense, and as for TV, don’t get me started…

10. And last of all, what is your favorite book of all time?

I can’t chose a favorite. That’s like saying which of my kids is the favorite!  My favorite series of books is the Belgariad by David Eddings. It’s light hearted, funny as hell and a great fantasy adventure. These are  the books that inspired me to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment