Tuesday 10 June 2014

NOVA Tuesday's (Chapter Four)

As promised here is the next chapter of my work in progress NOVA. Don't forget tomorrow is my next attempt at poetry, which should be as shocking as the last. Also, on Thursday my Three's a crowd interviews return for a limited weekly run. Other than that, have an awesome day my fellow beings.
C.S

Fire, Fire

As we cross the traverse of this new world, it would appear to be a much younger planet than ours, it’s sun still shines bright and it’s sky is a resplendent blue unlike any I’ve seen before. As I gaze upon the clouds, I feel envious of the inhabitants of this world, how they exist along side such beauty. Troy remains un-distracted in his quest to get home. I understand he craves his families connection but he doesn’t seem to understand what will happen if we return. We will be slaughtered, publicly as an example of defiance against Drataan.

Shortly into our walk, we approach a long stretch what would appear to be used for transport. Suddenly we hear the growling sounds of a machine head our way, I turn around and there’s a object moving towards us in a slow fashion. It’s lights are blinding, perhaps it can be of some use to get us to our destination. ‘Aren’t you going to procure it?’ Asks Troy. I raise up my left hand and the mode of transport comes to a ear-crunching, screeching halt. Another inhabitant of this world half steps out ‘get out of the fucking road will you!’ He shouts in our direction. ‘We need your mode of transport if you wouldn’t mind assisting us.’ ‘You want my car? Go fuck yourselves’ he yells and he re-enters his car. ‘They’re not very nice to visitors here.’ ’No, they don’t appear so.’ I reply to troy and walk over to the car. I open the door via the crudely designed handle and use my gift to sling the occupant into the near by field. ’I’ll only ask politely once’ I mutter as his body crashes to the floor. Troy inspects the car inside and out, until he has it figured out. ’Can you make it function?’
‘Of course I can’ he replies in an overconfident fashion.

We enter and take our seated positions, Troy places his foot down on some sort of pedal and we start to move forward. It’s almost slower than walking. I definitely didn’t appreciate the conveniences of teleportation enough.
After what seems like an eternity we approach a metropolis of high-rise structures and bustling streets filled with life. ’How close are we?’
‘According to the tracker, we are very close. You know Osias, we’ll be wasting a lot of time if we track down all ten of our kind.’
‘We need their help, you’re also forgetting we need to formulate a plan if we are to return home. You can not just build another Catalyst and expect us to return to Nova without consequence.’
Troy doesn’t respond, he just keeps on operating the car. About one of the nearby structures I see smoke rising and I’ll immediately remind of home ’it’s over there.’
‘Good, I wonder who it is.’
As we turn the corner nearly colliding with another car, I see the bustling flames covering a small structure ’it’s Karl.’
‘Karl?’
‘Yes, Karl is a friend, he has the gift of fire.’
‘Karl Draitarian?’
‘That is correct, do you know of each other?’
‘Yes, the stories are that he accidentally set fire to his own carers.’
‘That’s true but we do not speak of it.’

We come to a stop in front of the burning structure and I exit the car. ’Karl Draitarian!’ I shout at the top of my voice. ’Show yourself to your others!’

Karl appears from within the flames and as he sees me, he lets out a sly smile ’it took you long enough, it was getting hot in there.’
‘Get in the car before you attract anymore unwanted attention.’

Karl takes a seat and we set off away from the scene of destruction ’what the fuck is this?’
‘It’s a car, they use it as a mode of transport here.’
‘Well it’s shit, this world is so primitive. When I re-materialised they all looked at me with fear. Who’s this? And where’s everyone else? Where’s Annai?’

‘I believe they are nowhere near as advanced as our kind. This is Troy of the Catal’s and I’m not clear on that.’

‘The son of Osiris?’
‘I am’ replies Troy.’
‘Well it can’t hurt having you around can it. Where are we heading? I’m malnourished and craving a connection or two.’

I must admit, it’s a welcome relief to see Karl despite his self-serving ways. He’s always been a trouble maker but has nevertheless kept me entertained over time.
‘So, what’s the plan then?’
‘We find the others. Troy wants to build another Catalyst to take us home.’
‘Fuck that, I’m all for finding the others but going home? You’re insane. We’ll be slaughtered! We could live like ancestors here!’
‘Troy has a family.’
‘Listen, I’m sorry Troy but Osias, you’ve lost it. I’m not going back there.’
‘Karl, the war isn’t over. We cannot abandon our home.’
‘Our home is a desolate wasteland Osias! Ravaged by Drataan, there’s nothing to go back to except for our public executions and I’m willing to miss out on that.’
‘Karl, how can you be so selfish.’
‘Selfish? By not longing to be slaughtered!’

It’s becoming visible that Troy is getting annoyed with Karl’s attitude so I decide to swiftly change the subject. ’Listen, lets just find the others and we’ll move from there. Troy, how far are we off the next of us?’

‘We’re actually not far from them. This could prove to be less of a challenge than we anticipated.’

No comments:

Post a Comment