Tuesday 17 June 2014

NOVA Tuesdays! (Chapter Five)

It's that time again. The next bare bones chapter of Nova. It's only a short one. I hope you're all well, be sure to tune it tomorrow for another attempt at poetry. Three's a crowd also returns on it's limited run Thursday. I've got five sets of answers from my quiz to receive before that can go up, so it shouldn't be long.

C.S

Stalemate

Just as we’re about to turn a corner, a car comes tumbling past us and smashes into a nearby structure. Troy swerves out of it’s path and we come to a stop. As we look to the surroundings, multiple beings lie still on the ground. A structure to our right explodes in to flames and the debris smashes against the cars protective screen. From out of the destruction appears a large figure ‘oh shit, it’s Lotaan’ Karl proceeds to explain ‘we should leave.’
‘Why?’ asks an unassuming Troy.
‘Lotaan is a beast, an angry beast at that.’
‘Well we need him.’
‘This is a mistake Osias, let this count as a warning.’

The three of us exit the car and approach Lotaan who stares at us with a death gaze. ‘Lotaan, I am Osias Valkarian, we have come for you.’
Lotaan must be at least eight foot tall, his muscular frame almost bursts out of his war torn attire. Heavily bearded, bald and with deep red glowing eyes. ‘Osias Valkarian, the defeatist, the surrendered, the coward… Lotaan has nothing to say to you.’
Karl mutters in my ear ‘only beasts refer to themselves in a third person.’
‘You should mind your words Lotaan, I do not seek confrontation.’

‘That’s because you’re weak and pathetic. Your gift is nothing bar a humorous embarrassment to Novarians.’

‘Speak ill of my gift once more beast and I shall have no choice but to slaughter you were you stand.’

‘Osias, Lotaan has the gift of strength, he’ll end your existence.’

‘Thank you for the vote of confidence Karl.’

‘The only thing you slaughtered was our chance of winning the war. Your gift is a sign of weakness.’

‘Enough! Lotaan, for slander of a fellow Novarians gift, I will now bring your life to an end.’

‘It’s time for you to die son of Obadiah’ counters the beast, grinning all the while.
 
Lotaan plunges towards me with giant strides, the goliaths massive frame causes the ground to shake with every step. I lift up my hands and as my veins illuminate he does not stop. Lotaan collides with me at such a velocity causing me to plummet backwards into the car. The pain courses through my spine as I’m slumped over. Feeling groggy and infuriated I rise to my feet.

I relax my arms, then slowly lift them upwards causing a car to the left of Lotaan to levitate of the ground. I sway my arms to the right and the car smashes against my new found enemy with almost no effect. He stands glaring at me with a wry smile across his broad face.

‘You are too weak Osias! You are no match for me, you have no control! Lotaan bellows, causing my desire to end his existence to heighten.

‘I… have… perfect control! I smash my hands together and a deep blue aura expels from my body and expands around us. However it once again, appears to have no effect, that is until I notice the sound of silence. Lotaan is stood perfectly still, I glance around at my fellow exiled and they are also still like the deceased. Strange as I intended to emit a pulse wave, it’s obvious that I still have much to learn. I walk over to Karl and touch him on the shoulder, a shiver travels through his entire body ‘what the fuck was that!’
‘It would appear I have the ability to freeze time.’
‘No way, that’s exquisite… you can have so much fun with this.’
‘Karl, it is an important gift, not an amusing toy.’
‘Relax Osias, what are you going to do now?’
‘I’m going to make Lotaan pay for his slander.’

Karl looks at me with concern once more ‘listen, you know I’ve always been obedient towards the old laws…’ I interrupt him by saying ‘if you say so.’ Karl smiles at me as he knows I’m being truthful ‘we are all alone here Osias, in a world we don’t understand, far away from home… we should be sticking together; not falling apart.’

Karl has a point full of validity, as much as I have this desire fuelling me to end Lotaan, he could be a valuable asset in our cause. We are lost, we have little understanding of this world and yet rather than band together, we are indeed falling wayward.

I turn my back on Karl and walk towards Lotaan. A part of me wants to collapse the near by structure on top of him but I resist. I tap him on the shoulder and the shiver once again courses through his body and he looks down at me with the intent of violence ‘great Lotaan, look around you, my gift has given me the control of time. The few moments that have just gone by, I could of ended your existence and you wouldn’t of known until you drew your last breathe. The only reason I didn’t is because we are fellow Novarians far away from home. I am pleading with you to aid us in our bid to find the others of our kind and to assist us in our survival in this unknown world.’

Lotaan looks down upon me and smiles ’Your gift isn’t useless after all… We should leave this place swiftly and we need a larger means of transport than these feeble machines.’

‘I somehow doubt they have Dragon-hatches here my friend but I’m confident we shall find somewhere for you to rest your bulbous stature.’

I awake Troy from his frozen state and we vacate the scene, as we’re out of sight, I clap my hands and the world returns to normal albeit from some small scale destruction.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment