Tuesday 27 January 2015

Story-time with the Four Bananas + Guests. (No.26)

Well after a weeks unintentional break, we are back. Which reminds me, I'll soon be jumping in, pleasantries first, to secure the forty drabbles for the fortieth edition. This week, as well as my ever favourable bananas, we are joined by D.S. Scott and J.P. Royan. Beverage ready? Enjoy.

Silver Resolutions C.S. Bailey

A new year they tell us. A chance to do everything you failed to do last year. Another chance to grow and improve, yet it never happens. I am still here, shifting slowly, hoping for a change that will never arrive.
I look down on the others, well except for the ones above. I envy them up there and I smirk at the ones below. This may seem egotistic and you would be right to point it out.
I guess my ego is the only thing I have, that and my silver lining.

Otherwise it sucks to be a cloud.

The Aristocrat- Part Three by Nav Logan

Four years he laboured in the muddy fields, with bombs and bullets whistling around his head. Starved almost unto death and worked from dawn until dusk, he led his platoon up each new hill, dragging the heavy gun carriage behind them. So many good warriors had fallen by his side that he no longer took the time to befriend the newcomers, choosing to remain aloof.

They thought it was because he considered himself  better than the commoners around him, but that was not the truth.

He couldn’t take any more loss.

The dying war horse soldiered on, leading the way.

Dragons' Den (Circa 1495) by Bryan Thomas

"So, Leonardo, this is a drawing of your thingamajig?"
"Helicopter," said Leonardo.
"This... 'helicopter' - it does what exactly?"
"It is powered by the figures in the drawing, they make it fly vertically."
"It would fly straight upwards!"
"Yes."
"That's incredible, but what if the men got tired and could no longer provide the power required?"
"It would crash to the ground."
The dragons' shifted uneasily in their seats.
"And you think this could be useful for?"
"I dunno."
"I'm sorry, Mister da Vinci, but I'm not going to invest, I really don't see this one getting off the ground."

A DRABBLE A DAY KEEPS THE ‘POO’ AWAY? by Rick Haynes

‘There’s poo on the front door,’ my wife yells.
Not again! Why do those bloody pigeons poo so much?
‘And the male is sitting on your car’.
Stepping outside, liquid shit drops from the three fat juveniles sitting in the gutter. With their bums hanging over the edge, I am a perfect target. As it accumulates in my hair and face, I fall into a sea of emerald green gunge.
I look up.
The male coos, then craps all over my treasured Mercedes.
‘Honey, why is he picking on me?’
‘I told you not to shoot his mate.’

Picnic by D.S. Scott

I sit in the sun for today’s picnic and examine my options. I pick a good looking piece and pop it in my mouth and chew. Savoury! I pick another and place it on my tongue. So good! The next I put by my molar and chomp into. Delicious! I'm getting full but I decide to eat one more. Yum! While putting my things together, I see something down by my foot. I should save it for next time but I can’t resist. Tasty! I look down at my sunburned skin and see I’ll have plenty for tomorrow too. Excellent!

Cold and with dragons by J.P. Royan

Everyone knew, save a dragon's life you get four free kills. None knew that more than Brant the farm hand as he scrabbled on his back through the ploughed field. Harold chose death for the boy who poured hot wax down his back while at church when they were both children. Brant whimpered as Harold watched the dragon bare down on him. "Kill him already" Harold ordered. Flames spewed forth, igniting screams of terror. The dragon lifted the burning Brant in savage jaws and...........a sickening crunch as his back cracked in two.

Revenge was best served cold, and with dragons.

No comments:

Post a Comment