Tuesday 2 June 2020

Bang, Boom ... Whimper.

Well, well, well, it has been a while. I was all but ready to announce the return of this blog, when I found out that my friend, Bryan Thomas had sadly passed away. It's safe to say that the next post from this blog will be a tribute to Bryan.

I'll try my best to keep everything brief as there is a lot to get through. 

For the past ... well however long it's been, I lost all faith in my writing. The primary being Maybe, Misery. Often telling people that it is rubbish, not to get attention, but it is generally what I had grown to believe. After all, I have aged and I have changed. It appeared juvenile to me.

Fast forward to this week and I knew we were getting a new laptop. No more excuses. Excuses for what? The Talon Strand of course. It has been lingering in the back of my mind, like a bit food in your mouth that your tongue can't quite get to. It has always just felt unfinished. 

So I did the unthinkable, I read Maybe, Misery from cover to cover. 

The thing to bare in mind is that Maybe, Misery is nearly six years old! It doesn't feel like I wrote it because I have changed a lot in six years, so here is what I thought ...

It's funny, sometimes in a good way and sometimes bad. There are moderately sized parts of it that are just downright ridiculous. I found the ending to be a little weak and I found the story telling to be basic in places. It's worth mentioning that I read it in two sittings, bringing me to its shining light, that I didn't even know about: The pacing.

It paces at such a blistering speed, it kept me reading and I loathed this book. By the time I thought something was getting a bit silly, I was moving on to the next chapter. When I found it was getting dull ... next chapter! It continues like this until the very end. I was surprised to say the least, but it didn't feel like a compliment to myself, it felt like a compliment to a stranger. 

So, yeah, the Talon Strand. I don't know what I'm going to do. I know that if I read it, there's a chance I will feel the same way I felt about Maybe, Misery for so long. 
I know for certain that it is a more grown up sequel, but I'm unsure whether that is enough. I could literally open up a website and have a proof copy sent to me within a couple of weeks. The problem is, I am in the middle of helping to start a business and I'm just not sure if I'll have the time to give it what it needs. What I am going to do is read it and see what state it's in. 

I said I was going to be brief and then I wasn't ... I'm slipping back into old habits already. 

As for this blog. During my time away, I have remained creative. I have even created a group and blog for this, which will focus on the creative process. For this blog, I was excited to find out that I still had access to it and I know that there will be another post dedicated to Bryan as mentioned above. 

I honestly don't think that I'm going to return to ranting about my day, my gym habits and all that jazz. I'm pretty sure people don't want to read that, plus I can't commit to posting everyday. So I'm going to look for a new format. I do miss hosting quizzes, sharing other writers works and writing funny little stories so we'll see what happens. 

I'm sorry for being gone for so long and so abruptly. 

C.S

  

No comments:

Post a Comment